What is BPC-157?
BPC 157 (Body Protection Compound-157) is a pentadecapeptide made up of 15 amino acids. The amino acids sequence in BPC 157 is similar to a portion of the human BPC amino acid sequence. Human BPC is found in the gastric juice. Experiments have shown that BPC 157 enhances the healing of wounds, including tendons wounds such as transected Achilles tendons of rats.
BPC 157 research studies
Scientific studies based on animal test subjects have shown that BPC-157 has very broad spectrum of biological activity and is responsible for the regulation and control of various functions in digestive tract, central nerve system, immune and cardiovascular system. It has been also found very strong organo-protective activity. Compound passed the phasis of pharmacological/preclinical research.
1. Abou Zeid N, Vallés AM, Boyer B. Serine phosphorylation regulates
paxillin turnover during cell migration. Cell Commun Signal 4: 8, 2006.
2. Aspenberg P, Forslund C. Enhanced tendon healing with GDF 5 and 6.
Acta Orthop Scand 70: 51–54, 1999.
3. Beason DP, Soslowsky LJ, Karthikeyan T, Huard J. Muscles, tendons,
ligaments. In: Orthopaedic Knowledge Update, edited by Fischgrund JS.
AAOS, 9, 35–48, 2008.
4. Bilic M, Bumber Z, Blagaic AB, Batelja L, Seiwerth S, Sikiric P. The
stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157, given locally, improve CO2 laser
healing in mice. Burns 31: 310 –315, 2005.
5. Bodis B, Karadi O, Nemeth P, Dohoczky C, Kolega M, Mozsik G.
Evidence for direct cellular protective effect of PL-10 substances (synthesized
parts of body protective compound, BPC) and their specificity to
gastric mucosal cells. Life Sci 61: 243–248, 1997.
6. Brcic L, Brcic I, Staresinic M, Novinscak T, Sikiric P, Seiwerth S.
Modulatory effect of gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on angiogenesis in
muscle and tendon healing. J Physiol Pharmacol 60, Suppl 7: 191–196,
7. Burridge K, Fath K, Kelly T, Nuckolls G, Turner C. Focal adhesions:
transmembrane junctions between the extracellular matrix and the cytoskeleton.
Annu Rev Cell Biol 4: 487–525, 1988.
8. Cerovecki T, Bojanic I, Brcic L, Radic B, Vukoja I, Seiwerth S, Sikiric
P. Pentadecapeptide BPC 157 (PL 14736) improves ligament healing in
the rat. J Orthop Res 28: 1155–1161, 2010.
8a.Duvnjak M, Petek M, Rucman R, Seiwerth S, Grabarevic´ Z, Rotkvic´
I, Jagic´ V, Turkovic´ B, Mildner B, Sikiric P. The significance of the
gastroprotective effect of body protection compound (BPC): modulation
by different procedures. Acta Physiol Hung 80: 89 –98, 1992.
9. Gelberman RH, Amiel D, Harwood F. Genetic expression for type I
procollagen in the early stages of flexor tendon healing. J Hand Surg [Am] 17: 551–558, 1992.
10. Glenney JR Jr, Zokas L. Novel tyrosine kinase substrates from Rous
sarcoma virus-transformed cells are present in the membrane skeleton. J
Cell Biol 108: 2401–2408, 1989.
11. Klicek R, Sever M, Radic B, Drmic D, Kocman I, Zoricic I, Vuksic T,
Ivica M, Barisic I, Ilic S, Berkopic L, Vrcic H, Brcic L, Blagaic AB,
Coric M, Brcic I, Rokotov DS, Anic T, Seiwerth S, Sikiric P. Pentadecapeptide
BPC 157, in clinical trials as a therapy for inflammatory
bowel disease (PL14736), is effective in the healing of colocutaneous
fistulas in rats: role of the nitric oxide system. J Pharmacol Sci 108: 7–17,
12. Krivic A, Anic T, Seiwerth S, Huljev D, Sikiric P. Achilles detachment
in rat and stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157: promoted tendon-tobone
healing and opposed corticosteroid aggravation. J Orthop Res 24:
13. Lazic´ R, Gabric´ N, Dekaris I, Bosnar D, Boban-Blabaic´ A, Sikiric´ P.
Gastric pentapeptide BPC 157 promotas corneal epithelial defects healing
in rats. Coll Anthropol 1: 321–325, 2005.
14. Longo UG, Oliva F, Denaro V, Maffulli N. Oxygen species and overuse
tendinopathy in athletes. Disabil Rehabil 30: 1563–1571, 2008.
15. Mikus D, Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Petricevic A, Aralica G, Druzijancic N,
Rucman R, Petek M, Pigac B, Perovic D, Kolombo M, Kokic N, Mikus
S, Duplancic B, Fattorini I, Turkovic B, Rotkvic I, Mise S, Prkacin I,
Konjevoda P, Stambuk N, Anic T. Pentadecapeptide BPC 157 cream
improves burn-wound healing and attenuates burn-gastric lesions in mice.
Burns 27: 817–827, 2001.
16. Molloy TJ, Wang Y, Horner A, Skerry TM, Murrell GA. Microarray
analysis of healing rat Achilles tendon: evidence for glutamate signaling
mechanisms and embryonic gene expression in healing tendon tissue. J
Orthop Res 24: 842–855, 2006.
17. O’Brien M. Functional anatomy and physiology of tendons. Clin Sports
Med 11: 505–520, 1992.
18. Pollard TD, Borisy GG. Cellular motility driven by assembly and
disassembly of actin filaments. Cell 112: 453–465, 2003.
19. Prkacin I, Aralica G, Perovic D, Separovic J, Gjurasin M, LovricBencic
M, Stancic-Rokotov D, Ziger T, Anic T, Sikiric P, Seiwerth S,
Staresinic M, Mise S, Rotkvic I, Jagic V, Rucman R, Petek M,
Turkovic B, Marovic A, Sjekavica I, Sebecic B, Boban-Blagaic A,
Ivasovic Z. Chronic cytoprotection: pentadecapeptide BPC 157, ranitidine
and propranolol prevent, attenuate and reverse the gastric lesions appearance
in chronic alcohol drinking rats. J Physiol (Paris) 95: 295–301, 2001.
20. Russell JE, Manske PR. Collagen synthesis during primate flexor tendon
repair in vitro. J Orthop Res 8: 13–20, 1990.
21. Sebecic´ B, Nikolic´ V, Sikiric´ P, Seiwerth S, Sosa T, Patrlj L,
Grabarevic´ Z, Rucman R, Petek M, Konjevoda P, Jadrijevic´ S,
Perovic´ D, Slaj M. Osteogenic effect of a gastric pentadecapeptide,
BPC-157, on the healing of segmental bone defect in rabbits: a comparison
with bone marrow and autologous cortical bone implantation. Bone 24:
22. Seiwerth S, Sikiric P, Grabarevic Z, Zoricic I, Hanzevacki M,
Ljubanovic D, Coric V, Konjevoda P, Petek M, Rucman R, Turkovic
23. Sikiric P. The pharmacological properties of the novel peptide BPC 157
(PL-10). Inflammopharmacology 7: 1–14, 1999.
25. Sikiric P, Seiwerth S, Brcic L, Blagaic AB, Zoricic I, Sever M, Klicek
R, Radic B, Keller N, Sipos K, Jakir A, Udovicic M, Tonkic A, Kokic
N, Turkovic B, Mise S, Anic T. Stable gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157
in trials for inflammatory bowel disease (PL-10, PLD-116, PL 14736,
Pliva, Croatia). Full and distended stomach, and vascular response.
Inflammopharmacology 14: 214 –221, 2006.
26. Sikiric´ P, Seiwerth S, Grabarevic´ Z, Rucman R, Petek M, Jagic´ V,
Turkovic´ B, Rotkvic´ I, Mise S, Zoricic´ I, Konjevoda P, Perovic´ D,
Jurina L, Separovic´ J, Hanzevacki M, Artukovic´ B, Bratulic´ M,
Tisljar M, Gjurasin M, Miklic´ P, Stancic´-Rokotov D, Slobodnjak Z,
Jelovac N, Marovic´ A. The influence of a novel pentadecapeptide, BPC
157, on NG-nitro-L-arginine methylester and L-arginine effects on stomach
mucosa integrity and blood pressure. Eur J Pharmacol 332: 23–33, 1997.
27. Sikiric P, Separovic J, Anic T, Buljat G, Mikus D, Seiwerth S,
Grabarevic Z, Stancic-Rokotov D, Pigac B, Hanzevacki M, Marovic
A, Rucman R, Petek M, Zoricic I, Ziger T, Aralica G, Konjevoda P,
Prkacin I, Gjurasin M, Miklic P, Artukovic B, Tisljar M, Bratulic M,
Mise S, Rotkvic I. The effect of pentadecapeptide BPC 157, H2 blockers,
omeprazole and sucralfate on new vessels and new granulation tissue
formation. J Physiol (Paris) 93: 479 –485, 1999.
28. Staresinic M, Petrovic I, Novinscak T, Jukic I, Pevec D, Suknaic S,
Kokic N, Batelja L, Brcic L, Boban-Blagaic A, Zoric Z, Ivanovic D,
Ajduk M, Sebecic B, Patrlj L, Sosa T, Buljat G, Anic T, Seiwerth
S, Sikiric P. Effective therapy of transected quadriceps muscle in
rat: gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157. J Orthop Res 24: 1109 –1117,
29. Staresinic M, Sebecic B, Patrlj L, Jadrijevic S, Suknaic S, Perovic D,
Aralica G, Zarkovic N, Borovic S, Srdjak M, Hajdarevic K, Kopljar
M, Batelja L, Boban-Blagaic A, Turcic I, Anic T, Seiwerth S, Sikiric
P. Gastric pentadecapeptide BPC 157 accelerated healing of transected rat
Achilles tendon and in vitro stimulates tenocytes growth. J Orthop Res 21:
976 –983, 2003.
30. Tkalcevic VI, Cuzic S, Brajsa K, Mildner B, Bokulic A, Situm K,
Perovic D, Glojnaric I, Parnham MJ. Enhancement by PL 14736 of
granulation and collagen organization in healing wounds and the potential
role of egr-1 expression. Eur J Pharmacol 570: 212–221, 2007.
31. Wolfman NM, Hattersley G, Cox K, Celeste AJ, Nelson R, Yamaji N,
Dube JL, DiBlasio-Smith E, Nove J, Song JJ, Wozney JM, Rosen V.
Ectopic induction of tendon and ligament in rats by growth and differentiation
factors 5, 6, and 7, members of the TGF-gene family. J Clin
Invest 100: 321–330, 1997.
32. Xue XC, Wu YJ, Gao MT, Li WG, Zhao N, Wang ZL, Bao CJ, Yan
Z, Zhang YQ. Protective effects of pentadecapeptide BPC 157 on gastric
ulcer in rats. China World J Gastroenterol 10: 1032–1036, 2004.
Information is for educational/research purposes only.